Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD)
Many individuals everywhere suffer from chronic facial and neck pain, and recurring headaches, which may be due to temporomandibular disorder, also known as TMD.
As temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connects your jaw joints and muscles to your skull, and allows you to easily speak, chew, swallow and yawn.
If you are experiencing any discomfort or pain around your jaw area, then it’s highly recommended that you visit your dentist at McLean Family Dentistry to see how you can relinquish any tension or pain in your jaw.
What Are The Symptoms of TMD?
At McLean Family Dentistry, our dentists have the experience you can trust to indicate TMD early and create an efficient and personalized dental treatment tailored to your needs. Here are the symptoms of TMD below:
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Jaw pain
- Lockjaw or limited opening of the mouth
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Swelling on the sides of the face
At-Home TMD Dental Prevention Treatments
- Relax your face — remember the rule: “Lips together, teeth apart”
- Avoid teeth grinding
- Avoid constant gum chewing
- Don’t cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver in your hand
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Do not sit with your chin rested on your hand
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared
Schedule a TMD dental appointment at McLean Family Dentistry today. Contact us at (703) 448-9100 to learn more about TMD.